Is your child really going to be safe when you are in a car accident
Baby car seats. Something essential for every vehicle that is transporting a child or toddler. You need to know that when you are in an accident, your child is having the risk of getting the most injured. Statistics show that having a right car seat for your toddler is the only way that you can make sure that they are safe.
However, there are so many debates that says that a baby seat can also be dangerous for your child. What is the truth and how can we make sure that our young ones are safe when every parent’s worst nightmare happens?
Shocking statistics about baby car seats
If you are considering driving your child without a baby seat, you need to read about these shocking statistics. This is a wakeup call for those parents that think that their children are fine without one, or who thinks that getting in an accident, is going to be slim.
In the USA, the number one cause of the death of children at the age of 4 and 12 is because of accidents. This is normally the age where parents think that a baby seat isn’t necessary anymore. When you look back to car accidents in the previous years, it is calculated that on average three children were killed and about 470 children were injured in accidents on a daily basis.
This could be prevented if parents just purchase high-quality car seats and making sure that children are buckled up. Even when you are in a hurry, or just running up to the store, make sure they are properly restrained.
Statistics also show that about in every 33 seconds a child is involved in a car accident. So, if parents think that it is going to be unlikely that your child is going to be involved in an accident, they should think again. During the period from 2010 and 2015 more than half of the children that died in car accidents weren’t in a car seat or weren’t buckled.
Installing the car seat correctly
The number one thing that you should know about a child car seat, is that you should install it correctly. Installing it incorrectly can cause it to be loose and the child may be ejected from it when you have an accident. The straps may be lose or not properly secured. In these cases, the car seat was the cause of most of the injuries. This is why you should make sure that you read the instruction manual and make sure you are installing it correctly. By trying to save time and effort to just install it fast, can mean the difference between life and death for your child or infant.
Something else to consider is that if this is an infant or toddler car seat, you should not install it in the front seat. Especially if there are airbags installed in the vehicle. The booster seat might prevent serious injury, but the chances are high that your baby can suffocate with the airbag that is preventing serious injury. Your infant should face backwards on the back seat. This is to ensure that the injuries during a car accident are minimal. Especially, head and neck injuries.
How can you make sure that your child is safe from an accident?
The only way that you can make sure that your child is safe during an accident is to buy a high quality car seat. There is also some other essential information that you should consider:
• The seatbelt should be adjusted to fit firmly around the child. There should be no way that your child can be thrown out of the seat or the car during an accident. You might think that this can be uncomfortable for your child, but this might mean the difference between life and death.
• Don’t buy second hand . Not even if you don’t have the money for a new one. You won’t know if it was in an accident before and got damaged. If it is cheap it may not keep your child safe during an accident. Make sure that you are investing in purchasing a high-quality seat. Secondhand and cheap might not save your child’s life at the end of the day.
• Don’t think that the moment that your child is too big for the baby seat. Children who are of age or weight can be restrained with normal lap or shoulder belts. This might assist with the child being restrained in the car during an accident. If the seatbelt comes to high on the child’s neck, the force of the accident could cut through the neck. It’s Possible that the belt could cause serious neck injuries. A booster seat might be necessary to reduce this risk of injury if you don’t want to use a car seat anymore.
Children who are of age so they don’t have to use a child seat various from state to state. In a lot of states, they don’t go by age anymore, they go by weight.
Replacing the seat after a car accident
Do you need to replace the car seat after an accident or not? This is a question that many parents are asking after an accident. Most people think that the seat isn’t damaged unless they see visible damage. There are a couple of things to look for, in order to know if you should replace it or not. In the past it was always replaced no matter what the condition. The NHTSA has changed their opinion on this. The reason is to save the consumer and the insurance company money.
- Was there anyone hurt during the accident? If the answer is yes, then there is a huge chance that it might be damaged. Replacing will be necessary.
- Where was the car damaged in the accident? Was it on the side where the child’s seat is installed? Or, was the child in the seat injured? Then replacing it is essential.
- When you see that there is any damage done to the child’s seat, you should replace it immediately. No matter if it was a minor accident or not.
The recommendation of the NHTSA is not to replace unless it was major accident or it shows signs of visible damage. You,as the parent of your child are responsible for there safety. If you feel it should be replaced after an auto accident, then do it. Buy the best car seat you can afford. You are carrying precious cargo, and you want to protect them.
Is it really safer for a young child or infant to be strapped into a car seat? Or, is the normal seatbelt a better choice? This information is showing you the risks that you are taking when you don’t use a quality car seat. The statistics are proof that having a car seat installed correctly in the car, and the baby strapped securely in the seat, the risk of injury is reduced. We all love our children, please make sure that they are safe when you are traveling by car. Even, if you are just running up to the store right down the road. Most accidents happen very close to your house.